With the freshly fallen snow I was inspired to do an equally beautiful cookie for day 4. There’s nothing like biting into a freshly made cookie and have it instantly transport you back to your childhood. In my opinion, those kinds of cookies are the best!
As a child I always looked forward to visiting my Grandfather during the holidays, because he would always have a fresh bag of gingersnap cookies waiting for him and I to share. These remind me of those times every single time I take a bite. So soft, with the perfect amount of sweet and so appealing to the eye with the twinkly sugar on top. I started with the recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod, but changed couple things to make it my own.
I first started by pre-measuring all of my ingredients so that I could just dump as I went along. I realized after I took the picture that I forgot to pre-measure the vanilla, but I assure you I did not forget to add it to the cookies!
I creamed the butter and brown sugar together until they were well blended.
I added the egg and vanilla and mixed until it was combined.
I added the molasses, ensuring that it was mixed very well.
I took the bowl of flour and mixed the baking powder, salt and spices into it. I took half of the flour mix and added it to my wet mix. I blended that until it was combined.
I scraped the sides and repeated the process. I then took a spatula and scraped the sides, making sure all of the flour was mixed into the dough well.
I lightly sprayed my cookie sheets with non-stick spray and took my tablespoon measure to scoop out the dough. I rolled the dough into balls and topped it with a couple of pinches of coarse sparkling sugar. I felt the coarse sugar made them so much more appealing to the eye versus the standard sugar. They twinkle like the snow sometimes does.
I baked them for 9 minutes EXACTLY. You do not want to over bake them, because then they wont be soft. Doing the measured dough, this made 30 cookies exactly for me. Depending on how you measure them, they could make more or less. Store them in a sealed container with a heel of bread to ensure they stay soft. I hope you treasure these as much as I do!
Super Soft Gingersnap Twinkle Cookies
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- pinch of nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 molasses
- coarse sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar together until they are well blended.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the molasses, ensuring that it is mixed very well.
- In a separate bowl take the flour and mix the baking powder, salt and spices into it.
- Place half of the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Take a spatula and scrape the sides. Repeat the process.
- Scrape the sides, making sure all of the flour is mixed into the dough well.
- Lightly spray your cookie sheet with non-stick spray and take a tablespoon measure to scoop out the dough. Roll the dough into balls and top it with a couple of pinches of coarse sparkling sugar.
- Bake for 9 minutes EXACTLY. You do not want to over bake them, because then they wont be soft.